It is particularly devastating when a child is diagnosed with a severe illness because they haven’t been in the world very long, and the illness probably was not caused by anything they did. If you want to help children overcome illnesses and educate parents on the best health care for their children, then a career in pediatrics sounds like a good fit for you.
There are many opportunities, from being a pediatrician to a physical therapy nurse working with children in the healthcare field.
Heath Care Jobs Working with Children
- Pediatrician: Basically a doctor for children, a pediatrician treats patients between the ages of 0-18. This is the person a child would go to for checkups and general health care needs, such as vaccinations and flu medicine.
- Physical Therapist: Sometimes children need to work with physical therapists because they were born with an illness that makes them weaker than other children, such as cerebral palsy. Pediatric therapy careers are rewarding because you can help a child live a more fulfilling life through your treatment.
- Social Worker: Sometimes children are brought to the emergency room because of an injury, and it is discovered that their parents are not doing a good job ensuring their children’s safety. This is when a social worker steps in and advocates for the child. They can make sure the children are in a safe and secure home that provides for all of their needs.
- Pediatric Surgeon: Since children are still growing, their bodies are more resilient than adult’s. This means there are a lot more treatment options available to children, especially when it comes to life-threatening diseases, such as cancer. As a pediatric surgeon, you can help children fight their illnesses.
- Newborn Nurse: If you love holding tiny newborns, then becoming a newborn nurse is a great idea. Newborns require a lot of attention, and you can make sure they are happy and healthy before you send them home with their parents.
- Pediatric Dentist: Children get scared when they have to go to the dentist. You can make their experience more enjoyable by becoming a pediatric dentist. You’ll get to talk children through their procedures and make them more comfortable.
As a doctor, children are some of the most difficult patients to treat because they often do not understand the reason why they are in pain, and they also have a difficult time describing their symptoms. Even though pediatric care is challenging, it is one of the most rewarding jobs because you get to work with children and make their lives better.